Monday, May 3, 2010

Best Dog Ever


Susanne brought Maverick to her clinic on Saturday for him to undergo his second round of chemotherapy. He had seemed to respond so well to the first round that hopes were high that this round would be just as successful. Maverick spent the night at the hospital on Saturday night so he could be monitored and cared for while Scott and Susanne spent the evening celebrating their 6 year anniversary. They had an amazing time together, reconnecting and remembering why they loved each other so much. Aunt Leah and Moppy stayed with Paxton overnight so that he would have extra love while his mom and dad were away from him for the first night since his leaving the hospital.
Scott and Susanne came home Sunday morning and planned to go and pick up Maverick in the evening after Aunt Leah and Moppy had left. In the meantime, they worked with Paxton on his bottle feeds and exercises. It was a really good day and Scott and Susanne were especially grateful for Aunt Leah coming to visit, bringing with her all of her priceless OT experience and advice to help The Bug.
When it was time to go and pick up Maverick, Scott and Susanne made sure to time the trip right so that they would not throw Paxton off of his feeding schedule, and also so that they would be able to pick up the food from The Cheescake Factory that one of Susanne's good friends in Georgia had ordered for them (Thanks Brandy!). The timing was perfect, the food was delicious, and it looked as though there would still be time in the night for a stop at Blockbuster for a movie.
Susanne ran in to pick up Mav while Scott and Paxton waited out in the car. It wasn't long before Scott's cell phone rang. It was Susanne telling him to come inside, that something was wrong with Maverick.
Susanne noticed right away that Mav's stomach was large and inflated. He was drooling and had rubbed his nose raw on the cage door. He looked very stressed out and uncomfortable. Susanne knew right away that this indicated what they call "bloat".
X-rays confirmed what Susanne had feared and the options from that point were limited to only one humane choice. Maverick would have to be put to sleep.
Scott and Susanne spent time with Mav on a blanket in the clinic loving on him and telling him that it was alright. Susanne called Aunt Julie to let her know what was going on. She was at the clinic within minutes.
Maverick was Scott's best friend for the past 11 years. They had been through a lot together in that time. He was a member of the Padilla family and Paxton's big brother. He had fought and beaten so many ailments and conditions and seemed to be doing it again with his recently diagnosed lymphoma. No one could have predicted that his stomach would have done what it did, when it did. It is certain, however, that if he could have fought this condition, he would have beaten it too.
Maverick was the best dog ever and will be incredibly missed.
We love you Maverick.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear that! Maverick will definetly be missed! I love you! Rest in peace Maverick! Maverick was truly the best dog ever!

*super dude and super dog* said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. This post made me cry :( Our Lucy is part of our family and I can't imagine saying good-bye to her. I'm so sorry for your loss of a very dear friend and furry family member.
-Kellie

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about Maverick...Lauren and I were just talking about Maverick on Sunday afternoon!

MaryBeth

Wally & Leah Hansen said...

We loved him too and are so sorry that he has passed. He was a wonderful dog and truely lived a great life. It still doesn't seem real to us as I'm sure you guys either. This post though made me cry and is a great reminder how precious life is whether it is human or animal life. Hopefully you guys can continue to remember the great times you all had together and know that he is running and jumping from cloud to cloud above us. Love you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

I remember when Mav was small enough to fit in your hand, Scott. He was my first grandson and I loved him so much. Now he's pain free just like a puppy again and he's able to watch over his baby brother from above.

I love you.

Ma/Moppy

Mrs. Susan said...

Scott, Susanne, and Moppy,

I am so sorry for the loss of such a dear family member. God knew that he needed to send you an extra special baby boy to help comfort you through such a loss! I can imagine how sad you must feel. I know that Susanne remembers my beautiful, but MEAN, Siamese cat Travis. On the very day we lost him, we got another beautiful, but SWEET, one. Right now he is snuggled up close to my chest between my arms while I am trying to type this on my laptop! Chase just turned 12 in March and is very healthy, but I am already wondering how I will be able to stand it when he goes to kitty Heaven. I am so thankful that Paxton got to spend a few weeks with his oldest brother. As always, you are all in my thoughts and prayers EVERY day! Love you lots!